Tuesday, July 2, 2013

In the garden

En El Jardin

OXOXOX
En el Jardin


Last summer '12 was my first attempt to "grow" a garden. My mom gave me three baby tomato plants and I had no idea what I was doing, but with google and motherly garden advise, the plant got big and produced a good amount of tomatoes. I then planted some cucumber(which only produced one) and basil. 

This year I wanted to start the tomato plants from seed, so in November I ordered all my seedlings and started to prepair for March. Again I am an amature, so google became my garden buddy and through my research I gained confidence knowing my seedlings will grow. Ok....ok, I really lacked some confidence in anticipating an epic fail, because I still purchased two tomatoe plants as back up. I did not want to be without any tomatoes during the summer, so those two tomato plants growing in the photo below is from a farmers market. They grew so fast while my tiny seedlings were going through so much hardship. I have two horror stories with my seedlings, but i'll save those for another time.

Also, I started from seed some cucumbers, mixed bell peppers, basil (dark opal:purple & green), cilantro and mixed lettuce. If you look closely, you can see two yellow cups. Those are two plants from my 30 tomato seedlings. I had so many, I needed to give some away to my mom, sister and co-workers.

 In May
Before spring arrived I knew I wanted to recycle my gril and make it into a big herb pot. Under the grill you see some more yellow cups. Those are tomato plants from seed. Types of tomatoes I am growing: Green zebra striped, Mini yellow, Yellow Jubilee, Heirloom Rainbow Mix and Black cherry..Exciting! This day was also my very first harvest for lettuce.


Late May
Purple Basil and Cilantro in the grill herb pot

Mix bell peppers...growing so well.

Hello there, first tomatoes.

You can see how much everything has grown since the first picture. I have a jungle in front of my house because I don't have a yard in the back. The cucumbers are climbing and climbing.

First week in June




My Flamingo, who watches over the garden.




First Cucumber. I harvested him last night. 
He was dinner today. He grew so big and now he is:
ALL GONE!


Third week in June and now you see Rosemary, which I purchased at the farmers market. I could not find seed anywhere, and it was a good way to support local farmers.


My babies are growing so big and strong. Today they are bigger then what you see in this photo. I need to transplant this weekend. There you have it, a glimpse of what I enjoy doing on the weekends. It is truly a blessing to be able to grow food from seed. It's hard work, but in the end when you have fresh veggies and herbs on your dinner table , you see the "fruits" of your labor. I Thank GOD for all that he provides for me and my family. Stay tune for more photos in the weeks to come.


Mixed Bell Peppers


Signing off..oxoxCoke Stains and Cupcakes..oxox Painthead™

No comments: